top of page

Collective Bargaining Discussions

Public·299 members
Jesse Slone
Board Member
Negotiator

I'm listening closely to your concerns, and I get it—I will be getting the same raise you do, and I'm Tier IV like many of you. As your president and as someone deeply involved in our negotiations, I ask you to remember that we're a team—not just the negotiators, all of us! Our strength comes from unity. I appreciate those who are looking to get involved; that's the only way this works.

(I'm including the whole update below for those who may have missed it in their email.)

For those who have emailed to thank the team for their work, thank you.

I can't really get into the specifics of how we got to the proposal we reached. There is a lot of experience in collective bargaining among the team that was elected. Please understand that there is no shortage of passion to get you the best possible deal we can. As mentioned by others, you get to decide whether it is good enough as a collective. We are trying to get you something that is better than good enough.

As I'm working in this position, I'm constantly looking for ways to change things for the better. In discussions with other union leaders across the country, they were shocked that we voted in our negotiating team so close to the start of negotiations, and this year, we were voted in earlier than at any time in recent memory! Would you support us changing that and making negotiations prep a consistent effort? Maybe a contract research and recommendations team, or some other better idea you might have? We don't have much coordination among our employee reps (stewards). Do you support us adding a statewide rep coordinator?

This morning, I volunteered at the ACOA annual legislative shooting competition, which brings together ACOA members, volunteers from the community, and the legislators, their families, and staff. The event underscored the value of positive, direct interaction with our community and legislators. How can we replicate this level of engagement?

This union—our union—is all of us. Your insights and participation fuel our progress. As we shift from leaving 'the union' to do the work towards a collective effort towards shared goals, it's a journey that requires time and commitment from us all.

Good afternoon Supervisors,

We just completed a one-day negotiation session on April 4th, and we will negotiate again next week on the 9th.

Key Developments from the session:

• The New Finance Director met with us to discuss concerns about Notices of Pay Problems (NOPPs). There are currently 1879 NOPPs filed, many of which the state doesn’t feel should have been filed as NOPPs, some are duplicates, and others relate to other issues such as travel pay. In total, they believe there are about 1200 properly filed unique NOPPs, which they are now working on together to address. The Director is hopeful that by July, they will see some headway. This has been an area of concern for us that we have addressed numerous times now with the state, with some negotiators sharing their personal stories during the sessions. We have been assured that any and all resources are being directed at the problem. A dashboard has been created to view NOPP statistics and which will be updated soon to allow individual employees to track the progress of their NOPP filings. That dashboard can be found at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=404466d9f765494486d5cd1e38f52cb9

• SU submitted Articles 16 (safety for employees) and 24 (wages) for discussion. In Article 16, we are trying to strengthen language that goes to safer workplaces. At our last session for Article 24 the state proposed that we take the calculation that GGU used in their final year of their prior contract and applied it to all three years of our contract (detailed below), we gave a counterproposal to the State’s proposal from March 21st.

• 17% year 1

• CPI year 2, (actual CPI to the nearest tenth of a percent)

• CPI year 3, (actual CPI to the nearest tenth of a percent)

• “me-too” language to guarantee that SU will receive any raise GGU receives if it is greater than the annual COLA bargained for SU

• As you may know, GGU agreed to language in 2022 that gave them CPI (the Anchorage Consumer Price Index for the previous complete calendar year) in the last year of their agreement, which goes into effect this July. Their agreed language differs from our proposal by giving COLA increases at preset amounts, meaning that wages could potentially fall behind the actual calculated CPI. The calendar year 2022 Anchorage CPI was calculated at 8.1%, and our GGU counterparts will be receiving a 5% increase on July 1. We did an extensive analysis to look at CPI to determine the probable consequences of that formula in determining our counter.

• The state proposed a package deal of Articles 16, 18 (Recruitment, which also includes evaluations), 26 (Holidays), and 27 (Travel, Per Diem, and Moving). 16, 26, and 27 were proposed as book and only small changes were proposed to Article 18 to update language on evaluations (and we are requesting some additional accountability on late evaluations).

• Further discussion focused mostly on obtaining a fair wage package that would resolve supervisors’ pay disparity with the employees they supervise.

J W
J L
B
J

About

DO NOT POST SENSITIVE INFORMATION. While this is intended f...

Members

• Mike Miller
    Board Member
    Employee Rep
  • Jesse Slone
    Board Member
    Negotiator
  • G
    gavin
  • L
    lillian.schramm
  • K